God bless
Monday, December 14, 2009
Sleep deprived!
I finally got to see Macey for the first time today. The nurses are really limiting who goes into her room because she hasn't slept for longer than 15 minutes in 2 whole days. They continue to give her morphine and sedation, but for some reason she is not getting quality sleep. They did state that they will be doing the pelvic surgery tomorrow or Wednesday, but not until she goes to sleep. The lack of sleep is making her really nutty and agitated, which is part of the brain injury but is becoming worse because she hasn't rested. The nurses are waiting for a private room to open up in ICU so Macey can be transfered into a more quiet environment. Macey also worked with her speech therapist today that reported to us that she has major left side neglect. This means if you stand on her left side, she most likely won't acknowledge your presence. Also when looking at her pictures or cards she doesn't notice the left side. The therapist said this will be something that will need to be retrained because when she does start walking, she will run into walls on her left side, which is a major safety issue. Also the reason she is talking non-stop, saying random thoughts is because she has lost her "filter," which means she states everything she is thinking. This will also be something that needs to be retrained, and hopefully will just clear up on its own once the bone flap is reattached and healed. The neurosurgeon stated he is in no rush to put the bone flap back on, earliest he would like to do it would be in a month. They are ordering her a customized helmet so within this month she doesn't have that flap, her brain will be protected. He also gave us a rough estimate that she will be fully recovered and done with rehabilitation in a year. Macey has surprised us already though, so I look at that year as 6 months :) They don't expect Macey to be cleared to go home for at least another month, but we don't dare tell her that. She is trying every plan and tactic she can to escape this place stating, "I know you're strong, you can get me out of here, I know you can!" We also asked her what she wanted for Christmas, just making conversation. She replied with, "Nothing, God has already given me so much." The words of an angel! Please continue to pray for Macey to be calm and sleep. She desperately needs rest in order to heal. Also please pray for God to bless the doctors with knowledge and courage in Macey's pelvis surgery. Lord please keep Macey healthy and in your arms during her surgery. Thank you everyone for your continued support. My family is so blessed with all of your gifts and emotional comfort.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi! I was told about this site from a co-worker and I am writing this comment from Long Beach Memorials ER. I was involved in Maceys care when she was first brought into our ER. It is more than amazing to be reading her progress. I have had mandy dreams about her and she has been on my mind since I met her. Something was different about her. She was unconcious and barely breathing, but there was so much fight in her, so much behind her hald opened eyes. This is the reason why I do my job and I am so thankful to have met such a special person and to read of all the love that surrounds her. I send my love, courage and strength to her, her family and her recovery.
ReplyDeleterespectfully,
Tassia
LBMMC ER